It's said that if monkeys hack long enough on a typewriter, than they will inexorably end up writing something that makes sense.
Let's see if this is also true for scientists...



Monday 1 July 2013

Your own, personal Jesus - part I: Meeting Yeshua bar Yosef

I always found it frustrating that Jesus, unlike Mohammed, appears to have done nothing to assure a verbatim transmission of his teachings. As a result, Jesus’ words and deeds have only been written down decades or even centuries after his death, in a different language, by persons who most probably have never met him. Because of the socio-political context at the time of writing, selection and rephrasing of the gospels was strongly biased.
The obvious question is therefore on how much has this error-generating transmission affected the message of the historical Jesus?
To find out, I did the following: I bought the Complete Gospels (which contain also fresh translations of non-canonical texts, such as the Gospels of Thomas or Mary, or the Q and Signs Gospels) and selected sentences that I found particularly touching. I then rephrased these sentences to some extend, and put them in a different order, so to obtain something like a suggestive little story line.
The result of my little experiment (which took me two years, and resulted in a short manuscript) were twofold: 1) there is a particular message and spirit of the Gospels that is reassuringly robust to manipulation. 2) By chewing on the texts for long to produce a distilled and personal version, I felt I understood Jesus' message - and maybe Jesus himself - much better. In a way, it almost felt like I got to know this Yeshua personally, at least a little bit. Bottom line: If you want to understand Jesus, you have to rewrite the Gospels; you have to wrestle with the available texts, take them apart and write your own, personal Jesus. 

A little later I read that Buddha advised followers to question and chew on his teachings...

No comments: