It's said that if monkeys hack long enough on a typewriter, than they will inexorably end up writing something that makes sense.
Let's see if this is also true for scientists...



Friday 20 June 2008

No Fear

I was just wondering what Humanity would be like, without fear. I'm talking about the little, daily, fears; will I get over the road crossing before the red light? will I catch a cold, just before my final exam? did I take my wallet? do I have enough chocolate biscuits for today? etc etc. These fears are omnipresent, stressful, and almost always of no use. We should just eliminate them. But it seems as if there was a steadily producing source of fears in humans; and if there is nothing real to be afraid of, that fear just spills over, and incarnates in any sort of random rubbish. Maybe experiencing once a week a real, genuine fear would make the small petty ones disappear? But how would I know, being a privileged post-war-born European?

No comments: